UFC 293 concluded with a major upset as Sean Strickland defeated Israel Adesanya to become the new middleweight champion. Strickland, who was a +700 underdog, dominated the fight from start to finish, using his wrestling and grappling to control Adesanya.
In the co-main event, Alexander Volkov scored a unanimous decision victory over Jairzinho Rozenstruik. Volkov used his reach and power to keep Rozenstruik at bay, and he landed some heavy shots throughout the fight.
Manel Kape also impressed in his UFC debut, defeating Louis Smolka by unanimous decision. Kape was the more aggressive fighter throughout the fight, and he landed some powerful punches and kicks.
Here are the biggest moments of the night:
- Sean Strickland defeats Israel Adesanya to become the new middleweight champion.
- Alexander Volkov defeats Jairzinho Rozenstruik by unanimous decision.
- Manel Kape defeats Louis Smolka by unanimous decision.
- Brad Riddell defeats Jalin Turner by unanimous decision.
- Ian Garry defeats Darian Weeks by unanimous decision.
- Brendan Allen defeats Sam Alvey by unanimous decision.
- Jake Matthews defeats Andre Fialho by unanimous decision.
- Jessica Eye defeats Maycee Barber by unanimous decision.
Brett Okamoto, Marc Raimondi, and Jeff Wagenheim react to the biggest moments of the night:
- Okamoto: “This was a major upset, and it’s hard to say what it means for the middleweight division. Strickland is a very good fighter, but he’s not the most popular guy. It will be interesting to see how he handles being the champion.”
- Raimondi: “Volkov was impressive tonight. He looked like the better fighter from start to finish, and he deserved the victory. This is a big win for him, and it puts him in a good position to challenge for the title next.”
- Wagenheim: “Kape was a lot of fun to watch tonight. He’s a very exciting fighter, and he has a lot of potential. I’m looking forward to seeing what he does next.”
Overall, UFC 293 was a successful event with some exciting fights. The main event was a major upset, and it will be interesting to see how Strickland handles being the new middleweight champion. Volkov and Kape also impressed in their respective fights, and they are both fighters to watch in the future.