Enrique Tarrio, the former chairman of the far-right Proud Boys group, was sentenced to 4 years in prison on Thursday for his role in the Jan. 6, 2021, riot at the U.S. Capitol.
Tarrio was convicted of five counts, including obstruction of an official proceeding, entering and remaining in a restricted building, and disorderly conduct. He was acquitted of two other counts, including seditious conspiracy.
Prosecutors had sought a 5-year sentence for Tarrio, arguing that he was a central figure in the Proud Boys’ planning for the Jan. 6 attack. They also noted that Tarrio had traveled to Washington, D.C., on Jan. 5, 2021, and had met with other members of the Proud Boys to plan their activities for the next day.
Tarrio’s defense attorneys had argued for a shorter sentence, saying that he had not been involved in any violence on Jan. 6 and had disavowed the Proud Boys after the attack. They also noted that Tarrio had already spent 11 months in jail awaiting trial.
In his sentencing remarks, U.S. District Judge Timothy J. Kelly said that Tarrio’s actions on Jan. 6 had “endangered the lives of law enforcement officers and members of the public.” He also said that Tarrio had “played a leadership role in the Proud Boys’ planning for the attack.”
Kelly sentenced Tarrio to 4 years in prison, followed by 3 years of supervised release. He also ordered Tarrio to pay a $100,000 fine.
Tarrio is the highest-ranking Proud Boys member to be sentenced for his role in the Jan. 6 attack. He is the second Proud Boys member to be sentenced to prison, after Dominic Pezzola was sentenced to 44 months in prison in March.
The Jan. 6 attack was a violent attempt to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election. Hundreds of Trump supporters stormed the Capitol, forcing lawmakers to evacuate and temporarily halting the certification of Joe Biden’s victory.
The Justice Department has charged more than 800 people in connection with the attack. More than 300 people have pleaded guilty, and more than 100 have been sentenced.