Liverpool suffered a 4-3 defeat to Bayern Munich in a seven-goal thriller in Singapore on Tuesday.
The Reds took the lead through Mohamed Salah in the first half, but Bayern hit back to level through Serge Gnabry and Robert Lewandowski.
Liverpool went ahead again through Sadio Mane, but Bayern equalized through Leroy Sane before Lewandowski scored his second of the night to give the German side the lead.
Substitute Takumi Minamino pulled one back for Liverpool late on, but it was not enough to prevent them from losing.
The match was a high-quality affair, with both teams creating chances. Liverpool will be disappointed to have lost, but they will take heart from their performance.
- Jurgen Klopp: “It was a really good game. We played really well, especially in the first half. We created a lot of chances and scored three goals. In the second half, we had a few problems, but we also had good moments. In the end, we lost the game, but I’m happy with the performance.”
- Robert Lewandowski: “It was a great game, a very open game. Both teams had chances to win. We are happy that we won, but Liverpool played well too.”
- Mohamed Salah: “It was a good game, a very open game. Both teams had chances to win. We are disappointed that we lost, but we played well too.”
The big talking points
- Liverpool’s attacking threat: Liverpool showed their attacking threat in this match, scoring three goals. Salah, Mane, and Minamino all got on the scoresheet, and the Reds will be hoping that they can continue their good form in front of goal in the coming season.
- Bayern Munich’s comeback: Bayern Munich showed their resilience in this match, coming back from 2-1 down to win 4-3. Lewandowski was the star of the show for the German side, scoring two goals and setting up another.
- The referee’s performance: The referee’s performance in this match was controversial. He gave a number of decisions that went against both teams, and some fans felt that he was biased towards one side.
The next step
Liverpool and Bayern Munich will both be hoping to build on their performances in this match when they return to their respective leagues. Liverpool will be looking to challenge for the Premier League title, while Bayern Munich will be looking to defend their Bundesliga title.