The CompactFlash Association (CFA) has announced new CFexpress 4.0 specifications that double the theoretical speed of CFexpress 2.0 while maintaining backwards compatibility. The new standard uses the PCI Express (PCIe) Gen4 bus and NVM Express (NVMe) 1.4c logical interface, which can theoretically achieve data transfer speeds of up to 8 GB/s.
CFexpress 4.0 is backwards compatible with CFexpress 2.0 devices, so users can continue to use their existing cards and devices. The new standard also supports three form factors: Type A, Type B, and Type C. Type A and Type B are the most common form factors, and Type C is a larger form factor that offers higher performance.
The new CFexpress 4.0 specifications are designed to meet the needs of high-performance imaging and video applications, such as high-resolution still photography, 8K video recording, and virtual reality. The new standard is expected to be adopted by camera manufacturers in the coming years.
Here are some of the key features of the new CFexpress 4.0 specifications:
- PCIe Gen4 bus: This provides theoretical data transfer speeds of up to 8 GB/s.
- NVMe 1.4c logical interface: This provides efficient data transfer and management.
- Three form factors: Type A, Type B, and Type C.
- Backwards compatibility with CFexpress 2.0 devices.
The new CFexpress 4.0 specifications are a significant step forward for the removable memory market. The increased performance and backwards compatibility will make CFexpress the preferred choice for high-performance imaging and video applications.
Here are some of the benefits of using CFexpress 4.0 cards:
- Faster data transfer speeds: CFexpress 4.0 cards can theoretically achieve data transfer speeds of up to 8 GB/s, which is twice as fast as CFexpress 2.0 cards. This means that you can transfer large files, such as high-resolution images and videos, much faster.
- Better performance for high-end applications: CFexpress 4.0 cards are designed for high-end applications, such as high-resolution still photography, 8K video recording, and virtual reality. They can provide the performance you need to capture and edit these types of content without any slowdown.
- Backwards compatibility: CFexpress 4.0 cards are backwards compatible with CFexpress 2.0 devices. This means that you can still use your existing devices with the new cards.
If you are looking for a high-performance removable memory card for your imaging or video needs, then CFexpress 4.0 cards are a great option. They offer faster data transfer speeds, better performance, and backwards compatibility.