Carlos Sainz Jr. won the Singapore Grand Prix on Sunday, September 17, 2023, as Max Verstappen’s and Red Bull’s historic win streaks in Formula One came to an end.
Sainz started the race on pole position and held off a challenge from Verstappen early on. The Ferrari driver then built a gap and cruised to victory, ahead of Verstappen and Sergio Perez.
The race was a difficult one for Red Bull, as Verstappen struggled with his tires throughout. The Dutchman was also penalized for a safety car violation.
Perez also had a difficult race, as he was forced to start from the back of the grid after a crash in qualifying. However, the Mexican driver drove well to finish on the podium.
Sainz’s victory is his second of the season and his first since the British Grand Prix. It is also Ferrari’s first victory in the Singapore Grand Prix since 2010.
Here are some additional details about the race:
- The race was held at the Marina Bay Street Circuit in Singapore.
- The circuit is a 5.065-kilometer street circuit that is known for its tight corners and challenging conditions.
- The race was run under the lights, making it one of the most unique races on the Formula One calendar.
- Sainz’s victory was his first in Singapore and his second of the season.
- Verstappen’s second-place finish was his first podium finish in Singapore since 2019.
- Perez’s third-place finish was his first podium finish in Singapore.
Sainz’s victory is a major boost for Ferrari, as the team tries to close the gap to Red Bull in the championship standings.